Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tis' the season

It's Ultra season again!! Last two years the end of my season has been finished up rather nicely with ultra marathons. For those that don't know, a ultra is any distance longer than a marathon.So two years ago it was my first ultra, a very tough, challenging 50K (31 miles), and last year it was a moderatetly hard 50 miler. After last years 50 I told Amy I would not be attempting that distance again but we both knew that would be a lie. I guess when we went out to dinner that night and she had to drop her fit 30 year old husband at the front door before she parked the car, running another 50 seemed stupid. Well as they say time heals all wounds and I found my self looking to end the season again this year with another ultra. And as much as I like to do different races and not repeat the same events the only race that fit the schedule was too yet again tackle the Bimblers Bluff 50K.

It was my first Ultra and I have come a long way since then and really hope it reflects in my race. To say I am in great shape right now would be far off. Two weeks ago I did something to my ankle in a off road duathlon and have not been able to really do much since then. So an injury has turned into a taper and I hope that I can gut out the race and do well placing wise in the process. Regardless of the outcome however is that ultra's are just a small group of people who are just genuinely happy to be out running. Rain, sleet, snow, or wind, nothing bothers these people and their enthusaism for running shows through. This is probably the reason I continue to get pulled into the Ultra races and look forward to running at least one every season. They are low pressure, fun challenges that are truly what I believe is the essence of endurance sports. Entry fees are reasonable, participants are welcoming, the courses are diverse and challenging, and the rules are simple.

I realized the other day while running that I was 29 when I ran my first 31 miler, then 30 and ran 50 miles. So this will be the last year that I can say I will run my age in miles but running 50K's. So this leads to my next thought.....If I can run 31, and I can run 50 then why not a 100...hmmmmmm. So I hope to keep running my age as long as I can, and or I reach 101.

1 comment:

  1. I like your logic. I have run The Bluff every year, but otherwise try to do "new" races. As for age = miles... Last year, at age 50, I finished my first 100. This year, on the eve of my 51st birthday, I finished my first 102 (ultras always "run" long, it seems). So, maybe the REALLY big challenge is to run TWICE your years? You are an almost perfect age for 100K!

    ReplyDelete