Saturday, October 15, 2011

Moving forward

Long time since my last posting and can honestly say it is not for a lack of training, but more so for a lack of inspiration. As the season wore on, and especially following Lake Placid everything said kinda lame. Sure I filled the last few months with races and events and took some time to just enjoy some long runs and rides. But with that came the same type of motivation that the Ironman had brought out in me. Bottom line was that no matter what "event" I did, none of them would pose the same challenge that LP did. Looking back I think that was a good thing, in that it gave me freedom to go out and enjoy some races, spend more time with Amy and really lock down a solid game plan for 2012.

First a quick look back at the time following Lake Placid. First I took it easy for a couple weeks which for those that know me was easier said than done. However it gave me some time to put together a good little plan for a targeted half ironman on Sep 11th. So after the rest it was back to a structured plan and a short buildup to FirmMan half Iron in RI. This turned out to be a great plan because all my long mileage carried over from Ironman training and allowed me just to sharpen the spear so to speak leading into the race. My goal for the half iron was a solid 5:10 and that would be a 13 minute pr for me at that distance. I knew the fitness was there and said to anyone that would listen, that I was gonna leave it all out there, or as I put it "die trying". Well that combined with a relaxed approach and picture perfect weather and conditions lead to a breakthrough race. I knew from the start that I was going well, and my swim and bike were both dead on, where I predicted them time wise. From there I pounded a Red Bull and headed out for the run. Immideatly I was flying but made a concerted effort to hold back knowing that even in a half marathon there can be a wall to hit at some point. Well that wall never came and I paced the absolute perfect half marathon for me. My Garmin shows that I never slipped out of a ten second window from my target pace. End result was a 1:37 half marathon that was only 3 minutes slower than my open pr for that distance. With my disatisfaction from all the time I felt I left out on the Lake Placid course I can say with a straight face that this race was the highlight of my season. I broke under 5 hours and allowed me to dream even bigger going into 2012.

So with the unexpected breakthrough at FirmMan the season was essentially over aside from some fun events that I would certainly train for but have no expectations (this is a complete and utter lie, Every true competitor can not and would never race without expectations, even if those expectations were to just enjoy oneself at xx:xx pace). So after the half my focus turned to supporting Amy in her goals of completing a century ride and then a half marathon in consecutive weeks. Mind you with her school load her training has been iffy but she always made the effort to get the "must-do" runs and rides in to be ready to go. And with that she absolutely crushed the century ride and then came back the following week and had a solid effort on a rainy,m windy day at the seacoast half marathon. I could not have been prouder of her effort and she continues to do things that even she thinks is not possible (marathon/triathlon anyone??).

Also since Lake Placid I was able to volunteer at a triathlon, which if you haven't stood on the non-competing side of a triathlon is great to experience. Really motivating to see people on the outside looking in. I also had the pleasure of nudging my little brother into a off road duathlon which he was able to compete in and also win his age group. Again could not be prouder of another family member doing something that they never though they would or could do. So what is left? oh just a ultra marathon (50K Bimblers Bluff)and then a gracefull exit stage left to get ready for 2012. I can honestly say that I think 2012 will be a breakthrough year for me. I learned so much this season both on and off the race course and will take all those lessons to be in the best shape going into all my races for 2012.

So without further adiue here is the game plan for 2012 (in pencil of course)
Feb- Hyannis Half marathon
Mar- Quincy Half marathon
Apr- Wrentham Duathlon
May- Lions spring sprint
June- Pat Griskus Olympic
July- Providence 70.3 and Race the Rez Xterra
August- Timberman
September- GSW century ride
Oct- TBA
Nov- Ironman Cozumel

No comments:

Post a Comment