Thursday, May 26, 2011

Turn of the century

So here it is before me. My first century ride ever. My legs are trashed but my mind is right. I am so looking forward to seeing what a long, real long bike ride is about. I have been excited about this ride for a while and usually am when it comes to big training events. Even though the pace will not be "race pace" it is things like this that I live for. I guess this is why I am constantly looking for newer, bigger challenges. This is the stuff that I live for.

Like I said this ride will not be anywhere near as hard (or as long) as the Ironman and certainly will not be followed up by a marathon, however I really look forward to the unknown. Having these events on the schedule are what gets me out of bed at 4:45 on a Monday morning for two rides before work. These are the events that make the 20 mile long runs on Sunday mornings on a hotel treadmill bearable. Bottom line is that this is what everyone needs in their life. It may not be a century or an Ironman for everyone. But people need something that motivates them to be better at something.

My wife and I watch the Biggest loser and time after time it always comes down to the fact that these people buy into the plan and decide to go for it. The people that give up and quit are the ones who don't go all in. Century rides and Ironman races aren't possible unless you really want it. In fact nothing that is worth getting comes without a price. And it's not until people buy into this philosophy that they become the person they are destined to be. Destiny might be a strong word choice here, maybe becoming a complete, happy person would be more appropriate. Anyway you look at it, once you find that one thing that gets you out of bed on the coldest of mornings or without the least bit of hesitation grab a hold and don't let go. Become that person, make it part of who you are. You have to put it all out there for it to pay off and win lose or draw you will be a better, happier person for it. So with that I am off to pack my bag and prep my bike for a good 7 to 8 hour ride tommorrow. Why? because I could not imagine doing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment