Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The real Ironman

More and more as I get further along in my Ironman Lake Placid training I come to the realization that Ironman isn't about the long swims, bikes, and runs. It is about time management and the journey of getting to that start line on July 24th. Working two jobs, looking after a energetic puppy, doing 90% of the work on my addition, and maintaining what I can of a social life is the real difficult part. Give me 3 hours to go out for a 20 mile run any day of the week and you will not hear me complain. The real challenge is making time for that 20 miler and the long mid week bike rides. The short sessions are the ones that are easy to work into an overloaded schedule. However when the schedule says 2.5 hour bike on a Monday that is when ones resolve is put to the test.

They always say that it is the journey not the destination and that is never more evident than in training for an Ironman. At times I don't even feel like I am training for an Ironman. Recovery has been great and I have seamlessly gone from session to session really looking forward to each. However the last couple weeks as we are getting closer to finishing the addition and me heading back to work my time management has been put to the test. Every hour training is one less for me to do other things and lately the guilt has been somewhat present. I say somewhat because this is something I choose to do with the support of my wife and I view training as studying the for the exam. I have to be prepared on that day or I have not given myself or those who support me a fair shake. This Journey is much more that me doing a race, it is also a way of quietly doing what I believe anyone can do if they put their mind to it. Sure I selfishly make time to train when sometimes other things can be more pressing however I take great pride when what I do inspires someone close to me to get out their and do something they never thought possible. Whether it be a 5k run/walk or a full fledged marathon their is something to be said for setting a goal and seeing it through to the end.

The Ironman is 67 days away but already I feel confident that my day will go well. And if it does not then it won't be the first time that in training or during a race that I will have faced adversity and have had to overcome it. The tough days come in training and racing but it's how you deal with them is what really defines success. In 9 and 1/2 weeks all those Monday long rides, double sessions on Tuesdays and back to back weekends with 20+ mile runs will all payoff as I enter the finishers chute at IM Lake Placid.

2 comments:

  1. michelle lamattinaMay 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM

    Good luck Dana... I am sure you will be great!!! the LaMattina's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, Nice to see that you are bloging your progress. I look foward to following your progess. I know that you will do great in Lake Placid. Keep up the hard work and Turn that Door Knob my friend.

    ReplyDelete