Monday, November 7, 2011

Looking back

The reason I started this blog was to be able to have a written record of my journey to completing an Ironman. It allows me to be able to go back and review my thoughts and actions leading up to that event. Going forward I hope to continue to write (as their appears to be some interest) and track my progress to what will one day hopefully be greater success in this sport. I say "greater" success because I am never quite sure what that means to me. Will qualifying for the World Championships in either the half or full Ironman give me a sense of success in this sport? I am very grateful to even be able to toe the line at most of these events let alone possible qualify for a championship event. However I do realize alot of people can't fathom running 50 miles, cycling 150 in a single day, or completing one half ironmans let alone 3 in 3 months. So I don't believe if I never qualify for these events that I will not be satisfied. The problem for me is being patient enough to realize my potential in a given endeavor. When I am prepping for a ultra I am completely immersed in the task and dream of greater distances and faster times. While training for Ironman, I literally thought about nothing else for 6 months. So for me to be able to look back and see where I was at each interval of the season is quite interesting. So I thought it would be beneficial to take a step back and look at not what I accomplished this season, but what I learned along the way. It is cliche to say but it is truly the journey not the destination.

-Patience is the number one thing in athletics. It takes time, alot of time to master a single sport never mind 3 sports all rolled into one. I am not known for my patience but going forward realize that I am very capable of all the fast times I dream of I just have to be willing to work hard and be patient.

-Pacing a race is paramount to being able to run fast times. So many times this year I went out to fast in road races and completely blew up in the final miles. I believe had I went out more controlled and paced my self I would have had the same if not better times.

-There is no better feeling then that sick to your stomach feeling before a race. Why you ask? because it lets you know that you are heading into the unknown and no matter how much you prepared, things that are out of your control may pop up. (see 3 flats at Quassy HIM)

-That sick to your stomach feeling goes away and you learn alot about yourself while you are out on a race course for 12+ hours. Then when you cross that finish line whether it be at a 5K or an Ironman, everyone there, including yourself thinks you are a rock star.

-It is absolutely the best feeling to assist or participate in a event with someone who never could imagine doing something like that before. (Amy's century ride, Brothers duathlon, and yes even Miles 5K)

-The people that I am meeting through running and triathlon are without a doubt the best, most welcoming people in the world. Many outsiders see what they do and think that they are elitists and only socialize with those who can put up fast times. All the people I have met could care less about your finishing time, just that you did indeed finish.

-I wish more people would get involved with sports and completing events themselves. I had the pleasure of volunteering at a triathlon and watching a few road races and everyone and I mean EVERYONE was on cloud nine upon finishing. There is no better feeling then accomplishing something that takes time and effort.

-I don't think there is any event that I can not do that I set my mind to. When you start training for your first Ironman you think that it would be great to finish, and that slowly evolves into a goal race time. Everyone that I know that has done a Ironman this season or previously can tell you weeks ahead of time when they will finish and I guarantee that it will be within +/- 10% of where they actually finish. Funny how confidence builds throughout a training cycle.

These are just a few of the key things that I took away from this season. Of course there are many other little things that are paramount to my education in this sport. So I guess to answer my own question about will I get a sense of success if I qualify for a world championship, the simple answer is no. It will just be one of many successes that happen along the way. It will be no greater or no worse than that first 5k or first sprint triathlon. Success is measured by you and only you, not by how many trophy's or awards that collect dust on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment