Friday, November 27, 2009

Post Turkey thoughts

Yesterday was the first Thanksgiving road race and a new PR for me. Ran a solid 35:10 for 5 miles and despite it all did not feel to bad. Biggest thing I have found is learning to control the breathing aspect of the run. If your breath gets out of control then your mind starts to fail you and next thing you know you will do anything to make it stop. It was ONLY 5 miles (distance is the same for all) so I could wrap my mind around the fact that the burn could not last for ever. Overall I have found that I prefer the running portion of Tri's to straight road races because I feel my advantage is strength over endurance right now. It was my last road race until Feb. so I kinda felt I should let it all hang out.

Another first was my sister and her bid to become a runner/fitness enthusiast. She really seems open to the idea of it all but still deals with the road blocks most face when they start something new. The unknown can cripple people into A.) not tri-ing new things and B.) causing people unnecessary injuries due to a lack of knowledge. Also had the little bro running in the 2 mile addition of the race and I think despite his poor attitude these experiences will shape him well into the future. On the ride home I called him out on his lack of motivation for new challenges and hope he takes it to heart and takes a different approach going forward. Regardless proud of them both for the effort.

And lastly It was the first thanksgiving in probally ten years in which I let the day dictate my eating and not the other way around. I owe this one to my new passion for endurance sports. When I was strictly "weight lifting" I always knew the power of food good and bad. Now with the constant cardio involved with tri's I am working on life balance. Going forward with a pending marriage and children withing the next five years I need to learn to balance my needs with that of others. This is a work in progress but all part of the pursuit of perfection.

Now I am off to the gym to try and figure out how to lift weights and not get big like I have been trying to do for ten years. Bulk is not conducive to fast races so core work/high reps it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment